Friday 29 March 2013

How photography has changed!

Here's a blast from the past. We were doing a little spring-cleaning today and came across this 1969 press cutting from a local Manchester newspaper.

B.A. Wills 1969

From the age of 16 I worked as a part-time freelance photographer, and during my time at University spent my weekends supplementing my meagre grant by covering sports events for the local paper.

A few weeks after this photo was taken, Barbara and I were off on our great adventure, and the start of a wonderful life in the minerals industry.

B.A. Wills 1969
Approaching the Rhodesian border, September 1969
The camera that I used in the 1960s was a Rolleicord V. The more expensive Rolleiflex was out of my league then, although I now own one despite it being redundant. The twin-lens Rolleis used roll-film, with 12 photos on each roll, so after an afternoon at the football ground I returned to the darkroom to develop the rolls and then make prints from the negatives.

It was a slow and laborious process, and how things have changed with the advent of modern digital cameras. But I have to admit that I still miss the black and white images slowly emerging from the developing solution under the warm orange glow of the darkroom lamp!

2 comments:

  1. In those far off days I was a passionate supporter of Manchester City, but my provincial newspaper assignments were coverage of teams in the local Cheshire County League. The likes of Stalybridge Celtic, Hyde United, Mossley - and Wigan Athletic. I am no longer interested in Manchester City, whose success is based on the fact that they have more money than anyone else, but I sat enthralled this afternoon, watching Wigan winning the FA Cup Final, one of the pinnacles of football achievements- winning 1-0 against, of all teams, Manchester City!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a press photographer in the 1970s and sent to some remote areas of the world. I learned from experience and from working with more experienced photo journalists how to improvise when the normal chemicals weren't available. It was possible to develop film using coca cola for instance! Miss the chemical side of photography
    John Eardley, Staffordshire, UK

    ReplyDelete

If you have difficulty posting a comment, please email the comment to bwills@min-eng.com and I will submit on your behalf